MulgaraThe two most important elements of Mulgara.org are now running: Mailing lists and Subversion.
I've discovered that Yum is not the way to install Mailman on Fedora Core 4. It isn't integrated with any MTA which means that it needs a lot of manual configuration. After getting it working with Exim, I discovered that it wouldn't send any messages due to a problem with Sendmail. Moving from Exim to Postfix fixed the problem, but involved reconfiguring Mailman. Overall, a frustrating experience. I'm very grateful to Jesse for his help.
Jesse is the official administrator of mulgara.org, but like me he has other work to get done. Since I'm the one who's actually developing for Mulgara, he was more than happy to give me sudo and let me install the things I needed. The only problem is that he knows what he's doing, and I don't. :-)
ServicesSo where are we? We have:
- A Mulgara-general mailing list for announcements, user enquiries, and general discussions.
- A Mulgara-dev mailing list for developer discussion
- A web page stub.
Still to do:
- The web page is currently just a place holder. We need to come up with content, and we need to move all the documentation over to it.
- From a development point of view, we need to move all the
org.kowaripackages over to
org.mulgara. This would be easier with the refactoring tools in Eclipse, but these won't use the required svn mv command. Much of the first round will be a simple search/replace, so I may just be dusting off my perl/sed skills. To anyone with suggestions on how to do this more intelligently, please get in touch!
- The site needs a signed certificate. Thawte and GoDaddy both have certificates for under $100, but I should check out with other what we really need. I'm guessing we only need the bare minimum.
- We need a Wiki and bug reporting system. Herzum Software has offered to provide licensed copies of Atlassian's Jira and Confluence for use by the project. I'll have to ask Jesse to install these, as I have no idea about either of them.
Feel free to write to me with any questions, advice or complaints. I'll answer, accept, and listen, respectively.